What if I told you that there isn’t just one of you; there are three? Here’s what I mean, yes, you are one person, but three aspects form who you are. Your Conscious Mind, Your Unconscious Mind, and Your Higher Self. And each aspect needs to be honored and developed; when you do, you step into your highest and best version of yourself. As a result, you can manage and achieve more than you ever thought you could.
Some of the benefits:
- You choose to let go of things that have been holding you back.
- You develop a deep trust in yourself and your abilities.
- You become more clear in your thinking and direction in your career and all areas of life.
- You say YES more often to things that are a stretch.
- You say NO more often to things that you feel aren’t a fit.
- You are empowered to live your life and love your work because you are creating your own reality.
The best part? This internal power is just waiting to be tapped, and it all starts with your gut or your unconscious mind.
Your Unconscious Mind (subconscious, gut, instincts, intuition) is powerful. It is 95% of your thinking but thoughts that are outside of your conscious awareness. These thoughts happen automatically and behind the scenes. They can run on automatic pilot because you have programmed them to be there. Just like things we repeatedly do form habits, so do our thoughts form habits too.
For instance, think about driving somewhere you go to all of the time, like the grocery store, your Mom’s house, or your office. You don’t have to think about where you’ll turn or how far to go down a road because you know the way and drive it automatically. That’s information that’s in the unconscious. Mentally, you don’t have to expend energy to figure it out because it’s already been figured out and stored.
But just because the unconscious mind is powerful doesn’t always mean that it’s operating in your favor. If you are doing everything you can to get ahead in your work and life, and it’s not happening the way you want, there’s likely something between your own two ears that needs to be addressed.
That’s where your unconscious mind can play a HUGE role in empowering you to get what you want at work. But first, you have to play nice with it.
As busy professionals, we tend to ignore what we feel. Instead, we tell ourselves that we need to power through it or suck it up, “Buttercup!” And that’s not necessarily the best advice. What we feel we do so for a reason. Our unconscious is constantly trying to guide us by giving us the messages, wisdom, insights, and guidance we need to navigate our careers and lives.
We say that “feelings” and emotions have no place in the work environment, but that couldn’t be more wrong. I’m not saying that you need to have a meltdown in the conference room, but I am saying that feelings and emotions can be seen as signposts. They can be additional information that we need to consider in making decisions.
All learning, behavior, and change reside in the unconscious.
That means that everything we’ve learned can be accessed through the unconscious, and when we feel something, our unconscious is trying to tell us something. But only you know what that is for you.
Now, you may be thinking, “How do I figure out what my unconscious is trying to tell me?” Great question. Here are some fun ways to explore tapping into that brilliant, gorgeous wisdom that is just waiting to serve you powerfully in your career, leadership, or business.
- Ask yourself (literally) how do I feel about this right now? Then, ask that same question of yourself again and again until you have no more answers. Place your hand on your gut, your core, or center, and ask this question, and the answers that pop into your mind first (unchecked) or repeatedly are coming up from the unconscious. What patterns are present when you just let answers come instead of overthinking them?
- Flip a coin. Yes, seriously, flip a coin. Assign an answer to each side of the coin and then flip it. In the instant between you flipping the coin and it landing with a decision, what side did you want to win? What popped into your mind? That was coming from the unconscious.
- Pay attention to external signs. They are usually guiding you toward internal wisdom. For instance, if a song keeps popping up on the radio, what are the lyrics saying? Does it remind you of a person? Maybe you should have a conversation with that person. Or, if they aren’t still in your life, what would they say? Is there a quote that hit you pretty hard or really resonated with you for some reason? Pay attention to signs like these. This is the way that your unconscious communicates with you.
If you want to tap into the power of your gut and leverage it to create the leadership and life you deserve, then you’ve got to be willing to pay attention to your unconscious. This process is like a muscle and needs repetition. Your unconscious wants to know that you’re going to respect it and fully consider what it presents to you, that it’s going to be taken seriously. Sound familiar?
Start this week by giving yourself the space and the grace to listen to what is being said…by you. Feel what it’s like when you start to listen to your authentic voice and step into the best version of you in your leadership and life!
Stay tuned for parts 2 and 3 of this series exploring the Conscious Mind and Higher Self in the coming weeks. Until then, here’s wishing you the Clarity and the guidance you deserve!
How would you like to tap in and uncover YOUR answers for your next steps, next level, or next chapter of your career? First, get the FREE workbook that guides you to get the right answers for you for what’s next! Then, go to www.5DayCareerClarityWorkbook.com to get your own copy!