As the new year eases in, it’s a great time to reflect on the past year and get clear for the year ahead, but especially for your career. Setting an intention for the year is one way that can help you stay focused, set goals, and create positive change in your leadership and your life.
But what is an intention, and how do you set one? An intention is a guiding principle or a clear aim that guides your actions and decisions. It’s like a compass that helps you navigate your year ahead in your career and stay on track. Setting an intention involves reflecting on what you want to achieve or focus on in the upcoming year and then choosing a word or phrase that guides you toward that aim.
So, why is setting an intention important in your career? Here are a few reasons:
- It helps you focus on what’s important: By setting an intention, you can zero in on what matters most to you and your career or business and make it a priority. It helps you to focus on the right things rather than everything. This can help you stay motivated and avoid getting sidetracked by distractions.
- It helps you set goals: An intention can serve as a roadmap for your career or business. It can help you break down your bigger aspirations into smaller, more manageable goals and take action toward achieving them.
- It helps you make better decisions: An intention can remind you to make choices that align with your career and life values and what’s important to you. This can help you make better decisions in your career or business and avoid getting pulled in the wrong direction.
- It helps you stay motivated: Having a clear intention can help you stay motivated and focused, even when you face challenges or setbacks. It can remind you what you’re working towards and help you stay the course.
- It helps you create positive change: An intention can help you create positive change in your career or business and the world around you. By focusing on what matters most to you and making choices that align with your values, you can positively impact your field and beyond.
So, how do you set an intention for the year? Here are a few steps to get you started:
- Reflect on the past year: Take some time to think about the past year and what you learned from it. What worked well for you? What didn’t? What would you like to change or improve upon in the year ahead?
- Identify your values: Consider what’s most important to you and what you value most in life. Your values can help guide your intention and inform your goals for the year.
- Choose a word or phrase: Choose a word or phrase that encapsulates your intention for the year. It could be something like “gratitude,” “balance,” or “wellness.”
- Make it specific: Your intention should be clear and actionable. For example, instead of setting the intention to “get ahead,” you might set the intention to pursue a specific skill set, advanced degree, or promotion.
- Write it down: Write your intention down and place it somewhere you’ll see it often, like on your fridge or desk. This will remind you of your intention and help you stay on track.
By setting an intention for the year, you can stay focused and create the positive change you want in your career, leadership, and life. Take some time to reflect on what you want to achieve or focus on in the year, and start moving forward with the Clarity and results you deserve.