I had such a death grip on how I thought my business had to unfold and there was a logical step 1, 2 and 3 (in my mind) as to how it was going to happen. When it didn’t happen exactly that way I started feeling frustrated and overwhelmed. I was flying my “control freak” flag high and proud!
When I finally realized what was happening I knew exactly what I had to do even though there were a zillion options available to me! Sometimes it’s not about having “no options” that makes you feel stuck; sometimes it’s about having too many!
Whenever I have to many options, too many directions, too many potential answers – here are the exact strategies I’ll employ:
1. Take a step back. At the end of last year when I realized I had a death grip on how my business should be run, I was getting frustrated because it wasn’t happening exactly that way. That “feeling” of frustration and overwhelm is an indicator that you need to pay attention to. Staying on that course would have only led to more frustration and overwhelm where taking a step back allowed me to re-evaluate.
2. Ask, ‘What do I want instead?” You’ve might have heard this before but this is my favorite “go to” strategy in ANY situation. It causes you to think about what you want (instead of what you don’t or what’s going wrong) and it FOCUSES you in that direction.
3. Pay attention to how you are feeling. If I’m all worked up, feeling frustrated and overwhelmed, I know that doesn’t represent how I want to feel so I make a conscious effort to focus on aspects of my business that make me feel “lighter”, make me feel better, or make me happy! Who says you have to do things a certain way in your career, business or life? Other than you, of course. Does it necessary HAVE to be done that way if that is how you are feeling?
4. Is it aligned with your values? It’s a good idea to know what your highest values are in any area of your life. What is most important to you, that needs to be present in career, relationships or any other area of life? I have a values exercise that I do with all of my clients because when emotions take over, the values are a constant guide back to center.
5. Pay attention to your gut. This is the easiest one but the most overlooked. You have a powerhouse manifester inside of you that lives to find and guide you towards what you want – your unconscious mind! It gives you signals, messages and symbolic meanings all of the time but it is up to you to pay attention to it. What is your little voice saying (the helpful one, not the critic)?
I hope these strategies help you as much as they have helped me. Please let me know in your comments what your favorites are that you’re going to try!
Until next time, here’s wishing you the clarity you deserve!