Earlier this week I had a photo shoot for new head shots for my business. What a blast and I felt like a total Queen! I had someone to do my makeup, someone to do my hair, someone to help me select what outfit would photograph best. It was so much fun to be taken care of and know that my new photos would reflect the confidence I was feeling inside and out.
This got me thinking about taking care of ourselves and how it relates to confidence – because it absolutely does and here’s why.
Confidence is expressed both internally and externally. What you think internally affects your external confidence and what you do for yourself externally affects your internal feeling of confidence. They are tied together.
When you’re feeling out of sorts, not feeling good about yourself, self-care is usually one of the first things to go. You just don’t seem to have the energy. “Why bother, no one cares anyway”, you say. You think “I don’t have anyone to impress.” Then comes the marathon session in your pajamas or sweat pants eating anything that isn’t nailed down and then you feel worse!
By making a conscious decision to take care of yourself when you’re not feeling like it is interrupting the negative pattern. You may not feel like doing it, but by doing something for yourself you are reminding your mind and body what it feels like to value yourself enough to take care of YOU.
This isn’t about anyone else – this is about you and your worth. You deserve to impress yourself because you care for yourself.
As a professional woman you’re probably busy and busy women attract other responsibilities like crazy! It’s most important that YOU of all people take some time to recharge and take care of you because you certainly can’t give of an empty cup, right?
Here are some ideas on how you can care for yourself and remind your body and mind how special you are and what confidence feels like.
- Explore a new haircut, something that makes you feel sassy! A new, professional looking haircut can be just the thing to help boost how you feel. There are all those apps to “try” new haircuts on so you can see what it will look like.
- Buy a new outfit, something that fits you well and you feel “sharp” in it. Make sure that it fits appropriately. It’s much better to have a few investment pieces that are neutral and tailored to your figure than a closet full of clothing that makes you feel frumpy.
- Get your makeup doneby a professional or if you’ve got a talented friend, swap makeovers. A little change in your makeup routine (or should I say rut?) can do wonders for the “face” you present at work.
- Treat yourself to a massage, manicure or pedicure.Bring a girlfriend along and encourage her to care for herself too! Keep in mind at business functions, it’s important to make sure your nails are attended to and not broken and chipped. A clear coat of polish on your nails will go a long way as your hands are part of your communication (At least if you’re like me they are!).
- Do something creative that you’ve always wanted to do.When you let your creativity come out it rewires your brain and you start to see things differently. You could paint, hula hoop, dance – whatever! Especially when your career is in business, corporate, etc. you have to have a creative outlet. It stimulates different parts of your brain actually helping you to also be more creative in your job!
- Soak in a Jacuzzi, take a bubble bath, or float in a pool like you did when you were a little kid. Kids are so great at doing what they enjoy and being in the moment. They can play hard and then disconnect. You need to take a lesson from your own kid a learn to just be.
- Go to a movie or rent one that you’ve been wanting to see. If you’re as busy as I speculate you are then a little downtime where you can give your ever busy conscious mind a break and let it be entertained is definitely of value!
- Cook yourself a fabulous healthy meal– or go out for one. One that makes your body feel better and that you savor – not inhale…By making the effort to prepare something that is special for your body and nourishes your body, you also nourish your mind and your confidence.
- Go to bed early– just because you want to, or maybe take nap. All the things you want to get done are still going to be there. Even if you got a whole list of “must do” items done, there would still be more. Occasionally, this is one of the most special treats you can give yourself.
- Take a walk; explore a new park or neighborhood. Allow yourself to meander. Go to work a different way. If you do things the same way everyday the you always are seeing the same things. Explore new avenues and areas and open up a whole world of new ideas and possibilities along the way.
You’ve got the idea now. What are some of the ways that you can take care of yourself? What feels special to you? How will you demonstrate to yourself just how important, special and valuable you are?
Continue to put yourself first by caring for yourself, even in small little ways, and you’ll soon be feeling the confidence inside and out!
Be good to yourself and until next time, here’s wishing you the clarity you deserve!
P.S. The book of life is waiting – all you have to do is pick up the pen and write YOUR Next Chapter. Click HERE for a complimentary session.