By Debbie Peterson, Professional Speaker, Trainer and Coach, helping your business to engage and retain female talent.
I remember specific times in building my business, thinking that I was doing all that needed to be done and yet nothing was showing up. I was working really hard nearly 7 days a week and it was crickets! Has that happened to you?
In my previous “corporate life” I knew I was good at what I did. I was a good team player, I volunteered and I helped others out. This served me well but when I got to the point where I “felt” there was something more for me (my next chapter) I had no idea what to do. I just knew I wasn’t satisfied.
The difference between what I experienced in my corporate life and what I experienced in my business life is what I did about it! I now know what to do when the results I want aren’t showing up and I want to share it with you via a tool I utilize continually. It is so ingrained that I naturally run myself through these five steps in the form of a question to know where I need to shift my focus, get unstuck, and start moving again!
1. Do you know what you want? If you’re not achieving the results that you’re expecting are you sure you’re focused on what you want? Did you create a goal (I love the SMART Goal process), a vision board, a plan? You’ve got to spend the time and go through the physical process of mapping out what you’re after. The more comprehensive it is the better!
2. What are you doing about it? Taking action sounds like a no brainer, but you’d be surprised at how often people accumulate information, data or resources related to what they want and do nothing with it. Are you running pattern of collecting information to be “sure” about your direction? Are you too comfortable in the researching and not comfortable enough with the implementing? Time to take action!
3. Are you paying attention? Now that you know specifically what you want, you’ve got a goal or a plan, are you getting results? Achieving anything in life is usually not a straight line and knowing you’re not moving towards your goal or plan is just as important as having a goal or plan at all. You’ve got to pay attention, know when it’s not working and make adjustments.
4. Do you have a “death grip”? If you are really lucky you have all the steps identified that you need to take in order to achieve what you want and you’ll get it. For me I have to be flexible about how I get what I want and I know when it’s time to be flexible because I start feeling pressure or stressed out. Sound familiar? In my experience the target doesn’t necessarily move, but how you get to it does. Be willing to consider other options.
5. Are you playing at 100 percent? What you put into it is what you get out it. Are you truly focused on your goal or are you distracted? Are you asking for help or are you being the victim? Are you open to learning from others in your network or do you think you have it all figured out? Who has already achieved this? How did they achieve it? You need to do everything in your power to create the results you deserve!
Until next time, here’s wishing you the clarity you deserve!
Want to “get clarity” on what I can do for your business, organization or association? Click HERE to schedule a consultation.